Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Tomorrow

I was on my way to work riding a minibus, listening to music crooning through the speakers underneath my seat. A normal ride on a Monday morning. Then I saw something up ahead. Before I realized what it was, it flashed in my mind as something terribly wrong - out of place- distorted.

An overturned car - I could see it now. An ambulance screamed somewhere back. I felt like someone had pushed a fist into my stomach. Directing traffic around the accident, a highway patrolman briskly motioned on the crawling line of vehicles. I got too close for a look at the overturned vehicle. The scene hangs in my mind...the bystanders staring in open-mouthed disbelief. I did not see any body being dragged out of the car though.

Such a warm and good Monday. The day was bright and filled with so much anticipation. But for the passenger of that ill-fated car, that moment the world flipped - violently, crazily, fatally - upside down. What appeared to be another day of "fun-'n-games" became a day of infamous calamity. Naturally, I wondered if the victim knew God - if he could smile at eternity. My pulse shot up and I vaguely remember a Bible verse which I am a reader a few years back:

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring." - something like that. (I found it again, Proverbs 27:1)

Man's knowledge seems impressive - awesome. We can split atoms, we can build skyscrapers, transplant body organs, program computers, explore and explain outer space and even unknot the problems of ecology. But when it comes to "tomorrow," our knowledge plunges to zero. Whoever you are. You may be a Ph.D. from the most prestigious university there is, you may may be an Eistein, or a person with an I.Q. above 170, marvelously gifted and totally capable in any number of advanced, technological specialties - but you simply "do not know" what tomorrow will bring. Scientists may project, program, predict, deduct, deduce and compute diagrams about the future. They're still only guessing. In algebraic terms, tomorrow remains factor X...a mystery. It cannot be explained. It defies all attempts to be exposed. It lies hidden in the depths of God's unfathomable, intricately interwoven plan. He has not been pleased to unveil it until this old earth spins sufficiently to see the dawn. And then...only one moment at a time.

Tomorrow. It may bring sickness, sorrow or tragedy. It may announce an answer to your waiting prayer. It may introduce you to prosperity, the beginning of friendship, a choice opportunity for sharing this, or just another twenty-four hours of waiting, trusting, and claiming God's presence. It may not even come! God may choose this very day to intervene and take you Home. - either by death or Rapture. We can speculate, we can dread, we can dream - but we do not know.

This sort of thinking leads to an inevitable question: Are you ready? "Ready for what?" you may ask. "Ready for ANYTHING" is my answer. Is your trust, your attitude of dependence sufficiently stable to sustain you REGARDLESS? Don't let the answer slip off your tongue too easily. Think about the implications of that question to your own life, health, job, and family. Should God make you an angel, would you reluctant to make that eternal journey?

Thank God, it is HIs love that arranges our tomorrows...and we may be certain that whatever it brings, His love sent it our way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home