Monday, December 11, 2006

'Tis The Season

It's Christmas time...there are a lot of good Christmas memories that comes with the season.
I, for one have my own collection of memories.

Tall Christmas tree, in our living room full of decorations of gold and silver balls.
Angels, mistletoes and bright Christmas lights. I love to stay late and just sit by the Christmas tree when I was a kid and just stare at the beauty and dazzle of the tree. Gifts under the tree that I can't wait to open. Guessing what's inside.

I also believe in Santa Claus, when I was a kid, my siblings and I would hang our socks, and literally our socks, on the window hoping that Santa would pass by and leave some candy canes or a toy that each one of us wished so hard for. I even tried once to stay up late just to catch a glimpse of the big red man and his shiny-nosed reindeer. But I always fell asleep.
The next morning, there was some candies in our socks, which my siblings and I scrampled for. But I noticed that the candies were the exact same candies we buy at the store owned by one of our neighbors. (Thanks to mom!) But kids are kids!

The festive and sumptuous dinner my mom would prepare during Christmas eve; roasted chicken, sweet ham, "menudo", cold cuts, cakes and pastries, and hot chocolate drink. I miss most at Christmas is my dad. I wish he was still around. He would go home from his duty as a policeman jsut before the stroke of midnight Christmas eve and as one family we would sit around the dinner table and together enjoy the Christmas dinner.

For us kids, Christmas was the happiest time of the year. Because come Christmas day we would go to our grandma's place and would receive gifts from our uncles and aunts, and boy!
We have 8 uncles and aunts...just imagine...8 gifts!

But we have to grow up. Christmas becomes just a day. The magic of the Christmas spirit starts to fade away. We face the reality. Christmas is just for kids. Christmas shopping has become a nuisance and a headache.

One has to reach deeply cause Christmas is not just gifts...for me Christmas is family and friendship. It is togetherness. It is a feeling of peace and contentment in our hearts. Of love and warm embraces. Of missing and making up. Of laughters and happy tears.

Christmas is good feelings. Christmas is all about love.

That's why I still am excited when Christmas comes. I still love to guess what's inside the gifts under the tree. I feel like a kid. I still sit by the tree in my living room and watch the twinkling lights until I feel sleepy and dream of more good things to come for my family and friends.

Happy Holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home