Thursday, November 30, 2006

Dave Benbow - MALE MODEL

Once upon a time I was browsing in a bookstore and I came upon a book. The cover itself is enough to catch my attention, showing a torso of a hunky guy. So I flipped through its pages and found out that it is a gay fiction.
I am always on a lookout for gay books here in my country. They are a rarity. Only once in a while I'd find one or two stashed in the most hidden part or the lowest part of a shelf...and under the PSYCHOLOGY SECTION! As if! Mostly self-help books like how to deal with being gay or the like. In the fiction category, it's like looking for a needle in a hay stack. But there is this bookstore called POWERBOOKS that is a bit gay friendly and have them.
Ok, where was I? Ok..the author is DAVE BENBOW. The title is MALE MODEL. Here's the synopsis
:

Designing window displays for the glamorous Cameron Fuller USA store on Rodeo Drive is Blake Jackson’s passion. After all, handsome, elegant designer Cameron Fuller is an icon of chic style. With his Vogue-thin wife, Suzette, he’s one-half of “America’s Couple.” But their relationship is like one of the store’s many displays: luxurious, beautiful, and completely for show…

Blake is completely unprepared to meet Cameron in the flesh-or to have him help with a last minute window change during a surprise visit to the store late one night. Working side by side, the two men experience an overpowering attraction, and soon, they’re engaged in a whirlwind secret affair, played out on private planes, in New York penthouses, behind office doors and in a remote Hawaiian beach house.

In need of a fresh look to launch his new cologne, Cameron finds it in his lover’s chiseled cheekbones, ice-blue eyes, long, dark hair and hunky, six-pack abs. Within weeks, Blake’s gone from shop-boy to poster god. A billboard of him romping in the California surf wearing only a pair of skin-tight leather lowriders stops traffic in Times Square and Hollywood. Suddenly he’s the “it” boy, wanted and feted from coast to coast, yet having to keep his feelings for Cameron in the shadows. But someone is unhappy about Blake’s sudden rise to fame, and the growing love between the designer and his model…someone who knows their secrets…someone determined to make them pay dearly. And as the days tick down until the celebrity-packed party that will launch Blake’s star, it’s clear that the only way Cameron and Black can hold on to what they have is to let go of everything else…

And when I read it, oh and ah, it was very very cool! A love story between men, the trials they've undergone and how they triumph in love and success. What more can I ask for? Together with all the drama and the suspence.
The thrill, the hidden twists and turns...it's like watching a soap opera.

Needless to say, I became a fan and I looked him up in the net and found his site, and sent a fan mail. I told him how much I love his story and that I am hoping find other books he wrote and would gladly buy them and read them.
He did not disappoint a fan. He replied and said thank you and how much he appreciates the email and all. Then he is into acting too, he appeared in Days of Our Lives and The Young and The Restless.
The next thing I know he asked for my address and after a month, I received a package! I was dumbfounded, I was speechless. I hurriedly opened them up when I saw it came from MR. DAVE BENBOW himself! Inside where the other books he wrote. DAYTIME DRAMA and a collection of stories together with other authors.
WOW! WOW! WOW!
I emailed him again and I told him I can't thank him enough! He was such a cool guy sending me those books. ME! They're now my prized possessions and have read them all by heart countless of times. Literally.
And isn't he the handsomest too?

Dave Benbow

1 Comments:

Blogger southdude said...

what a coincidence! actually it was also in powerbooks that i've first glanced upon gay fiction, thought it wasnt the same book that you've mentioned in the post. eversince that day, i've been on the lookout for them... and eventually found out that national bookstore also has them. they're a bit hidden though.

it also led me in starting a thread in g4m named gay fiction. a user, brawn, is selling his collection. he said he had outgrown them na.. i plan to buy some, pero plan pa lang. ehehehe

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home