Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A Test Of Belief and Faith

Rarely do I encounter experiences and things that really shaken my belief and faith until I chance upon reading a novel by one of my favorite author, Anne Rice.

I have been an Anne Rice fan for quite sometime and her novels really filled up my long nights and boring days. I can find myself so engross that I sometimes spend a whole day just reading her book.

Then came this

Memnoch the Devil is about Lestat, the main character in her Vampire Chronicles, being chased down and recruited by the Devil himself. In the story, Memnoch, the Devil, or Satan had described in detail all of the history of Creation and the heavenly realms. The reasons why he was thrown down on earth, and questioned the authority of the Creator. At the same time incorporated in the story is the appearance of the Veil that Veronica used to wipe the blood and sweat on Christ's face when He fell down while carrying the cross.
The book really is a hard-to-put down novel and I myself got carried away and started to have sympathy to the Devil. That he, being thrown down on earth is just a matter of misunderstanding. That he just asked too many questions to God about His plans and His motives, until he himself tried to discover God's creation and learned from it. Then he fell in love with a woman, one of God's creation and experience making love where to his amazement is the closest thing to heaven one person can get and asked God too many WHY's.
My belief was kind of shaken while reading this and one can really rethink about what one have learned about the stories in the Old Testament whether they were true or not.
But alas, I reminded myself that this was just FICTION and the story is a make believe story but based on real facts for Anne Rice does a thorough research on literature, arts and history she will incorporate in her novels to make it more realistic and more enjoyable reading.
In the end, my belief is kept intact, my faith strong, but the power of words are amazing. The power of story telling leaves a deep impression and it is just a matter of how strong is your will to not to get persuaded or carried away.

4 Comments:

Blogger chase / chubz said...

i love these kind of books..
lestat? i think i heard that in one of the vampire hollywood movies..

anyway, im going to get a copy of that book. its very interesting.

I Always imagine that after i die, i will reincarnate as a vampire..
hehehe

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me a werewolf (hehehe). Just count your blessings carl!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Paolo said...

thanks for the synopsis. im looking 4wrd buying that book

4:54 PM  
Blogger Anino said...

Carl, impressive blog. Baka bumili ako ng book na iyan.
Ganyan mga trip kong basahin.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home