Saturday, January 06, 2007

Queer As Folk

Never have I seen a television show that had me affected as much since I saw Queer As Folk.
I first knew about the series on the internet while I was just surfing around. I said to myself that this is a bold move to produce such show on TV with much graphic sex scenes and human drama.
It was a full year since before I get hold of a copy of the first season and watched I did. Everything I knew about being gay I saw on TV and with a plus. I was to become a part of it just like a million gay men and women who saw themselves in the characters that were portrayed. One can relate with each character and the things they do. The mistakes they made, their outlook in life, their relationships, their family and friendship.
But the full impact of the show made me realized that being queer is not much different at all with the rest of humanity. On a personal level I am each and every character there.
I have learned some things. I have seen myself in a lot of the characters at different times, and have been able to see what's good and bad about myself. For example, I share Ted's unwarranted low self-esteem. I share a bit of Justin's naivete and immaturity, thinking I can shape the world to fit my desires rather than having to compromise. I share Michael's reticence to just put myself out there and see what happens, instead choosing to hang back with the Teds of the world and not even try. I can see myself going down the road of idolizing money in the same way Brian does, thinking that $1200 jackets and furniture from Milan will make me more attractive or more happy. I fear I could end up stratifying the world into "A-list" and "B-list" gays like Dr. David, and be embarrassed to mix my highly educated friends with those who work in retail etc. All of them seem to be primarily concerned with a potential partner's looks, and I definitely see that in myself. The episode where Ted and Emmit try a dating service based on personality was meant to make us laugh at it. I share Michael's fear of just being honest about his sexuality for fear it'll hold him back somehow. I also find it helpful to see the different story lines play out. They serve as a bunch of "DON'T DO THAT" lessons for me. For example, Ted trying drugs to impress a cute boy and ending up in a coma. Justin being insensitive in the way he tells people he's gay. Michael stringing a girl along because it's easier to pretend he's straight than to just be honest. Melanie and Lindsay failing to get the legal protections in place so that they're both guardians of their child. Michael refusing to admit to himself or his boyfriend that he's not over Brian, and thereby screwing up the relationship. Anyway, I could go on and on. And there are a number of good things I've found to emulate in the show too, like Deb's unconditional love, or Dr. David being willing to fight for the guy he loves, or Melanie and Lindsay's attempts to work out the kinks of being gay parents, or Daphne's willingness to try new things.
The last season, the 5th, everybody goes their own separate ways, leaving only memories of happy and sad experiences each one went through leaving me wonder what will happen next.
But I just wanted to share what I learned, and see whether any of you have found the media helpful in "growing up" as a gay man. I feel like, as long as I'm aware that the shows aren't real and that it's over-dramatized, I can let these people serve as proxies. They can make my mistakes for me, and I can learn from them. I can identify what I don't like about them and what they do, and try to fix those things in myself. It seems like that'd be much less painful than learning the lessons when some boyfriend dumps me because I didn't know them.

1 Comments:

Blogger jayd said...

loves it. marathon from season 1 to 5! go!

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home